Here's the second half marathon of our list of 26.2 reasons we love to run - see last weeks' blog post for our first half!
14. Running lets us rediscover ourselves. It’s true! Running makes you see yourself in a different light. In everyday life you wear so many hats – a mother, a father, a sibling, a friend, an employee, etc. and you bear the responsibilities that come with those hats. When you are out for a run, you get to wear your running hat (literally and figuratively) and you run for yourself. Your run is a window into re-discovery of your potential, what you’re capable of and what you can become!
15. Running allows you to compete…. against yourself. The best part of running is that the only person you are competing against is yourself. Yes, there are others who are faster or slower, but ultimately you are running and racing yourself. PR’s are your own personal bests and the BEST part of that is being able to beat your previous time.
16. Running shows us a beautiful sunrise every morning. There’s nothing better than waking up and watching the rest of the world wake up during a morning run. Everything seems fresh and new – it’s the start of a new day, a new chapter a new life and you get to experience that every morning!
17. Running allows us to brainstorm through a problem or project. Ever go on a longer run and think of all the tasks you need to get done and how you will ever fit them into your day? Running helps you work through those problems or prioritize your tasks into manageable chunks. It’s a metaphor for so many things. – In order to run you have to put one foot in front of the other. You can’t get to 10 miles without taking all the steps in between. It teaches and programs you take go through step A, B and C before you get to D.
18. Running lets us get cool gear. Yes, the more you run the more cool running gear you accumulate, it’s true! Cool shoes, awesome tights or shorts and a cool shirt just makes you feel awesome and the more you run, the more of that cool gear you get to try! We find it’s also nice to reward yourself for keeping up the running habit!
19. Running shows you the changing of the seasons. There is no substitute for getting outdoors and running in all seasons heightens your senses and tunes you in to the changing colors of Fall, the newness of Spring, the smell of Summer and the crispness of Winter.
20. Running allows you to inspire others. Ever wonder how you started running? Chances are, you were inspired by someone you know or someone you read about. Well, you are someone else’s inspiration. Yes, YOU. Just like you were inspired by someone, right now, at this moment, you are inspiring someone else to lace up their shoes and go out for a run. Isn’t that a great feeling?
21. Running makes you a pro at judging distances. It’s funny, but true. You become quite adept at judging one mile vs. a half mile, a 5K or how long 10 miles really is. You know exactly how long it will take you to get somewhere on foot vs. a car and you find yourself converting the distances to your usual haunts by car into how long it will take you to get there on foot.
22. Running gives you the freedom to run anywhere anytime. You don’t have to wait for a gym to open, a scheduled class or specific time. You get to schedule a run when it’s convenient for you. Just lace up your shoes and go! It’s that easy!
23. Running allows you to bring your dog with you. What better way to spend time with your four-legged friend than outdoors, getting fit? You’re doing double duty – getting outside and bonding with Rover. What could be better?
24. Running fights off the common cold. It’s proven that cardiovascular activity makes your immune system stronger so if you want to keep the doc away, go for a run. The British Journal of Sports Medicine states that those who participate in cardiovascular activity such as running 5 or more times a week have 43% less upper respiratory tract infections. If a cold does come along, the symptoms are less severe because the immune system is stronger.
25. Running gives you energy. Going for a run gets your body moving, your brain functioning and your whole system operating on all cylinders. That energy is maintained throughout the day. A side benefit of getting an early workout is keeping your metabolism stoked throughout the days helps with maintaining your weight.
26.2 Run because you can. There are so many people out there who are unable to run due to illness or debilitating injury. Isn’t it an amazing gift to be able to run? What better motivator than to be thankful for a gift that allows you to move your body, be fit and make you feel so good!
That's it for this week's post. We hope you enjoyed the second half marathon of reasons we love running. If you have any you'd like to include in our list - post them below and we'll happily add them!
Keep on Running!
Julia, Patrick & Jo-Jo
The Healthy Running Blog
Educate, Equip, & Empower
Yelp | Facebook | Twitter | Google+
Our Running Store & Triathlon Shop: